Michelle and I have been friends since high school so I was thrilled when she contacted me about a family session for her and her boys. We have spent a lot of time together on the sidelines of soccer and baseball games over the years…cheering on our boys, sharing stories and generally just talking up a storm. It’s hard to believe how quickly our boys have grown up! Michelle realized how important it was to get those family photos before the craziness of life were to get in the way.
Planning for the perfect family photo session does not need to be a stressful ordeal! For us it was very simple!
1. First, I sent Michelle a questionnaire to help me get an idea of what she was looking for in her custom family session. I was able to get a little info on each person being photographed, their style and how she would like to use the images from her session. Clearly she and her oldest son had fun with this because I could not stop laughing when I read it.
2. Like many parents, Michelle wasn’t sure what her family should wear. I sent her a link to my Pinterest site where I have clothing inspiration boards and suggestions on how to build a coordinating wardrobe. I even gave her suggestions on what items don’t look good in photos. She nailed this part 🙂
3. She mentioned that her mom built a new house and we could probably do the pictures out on their land. Perfect, I love a unique location! After chatting on the phone, I quickly discovered that there would be lots of variety in our backgrounds because they had everything from old buildings, to fields, to machinery and more. I love looking for texture in images and we had everything we needed in one location.
4. Michelle is also a girl after my own heart. She just moved into a new place and wanted to have images to hang on her walls 🙂 Yes, please! There is nothing that can make you happier than coming home and seeing the faces of the people you love on your walls!!!! After hearing what colors are in her home and her existing frames and decor, we were able to nail down all the details quite quickly for our shoot.
5. When I arrived on the location, I didn’t start shooting right away. I talked with Michelle so she and her boys could get warmed up to me and then we walked around the property to find the perfect spots to shoot.
6. I took all of that information and the personalities of each family member into consideration when photographing our session. I knew that Michelle and her boys were sassy, casual, funny and flexible 🙂 They were definitely willing to try anything I asked, which is a photographer’s dream. They braved the crazy wind and chilly temps like champs. Plus, she was even okay with me bribing her youngest with candy to get “just one more shot”…LOL!
Family photos should be fun! After a little bit of planning, all you need to do is show up and enjoy yourself….and I promise to always bring the candy 🙂